Since opening Hotel Noir in 2008, we have been committed to a few basic principles:
Support local suppliers and producers where possible.
- We buy our bacon, eggs, black pudding and sausage from our local butcher who is next door and he gets it from local farmers in the York area.
- Our fruit & veg, milk and bread also come from local York suppliers. In fact we have recently started buying our dairy products direct from a local farmer to ensure the money goes straight back into local farming.
We only use quality products, food and drink.
- Every baked bean is courtesy of Heinz, as is our tomato sauce.
- Our complimentary soft drinks are always branded to ensure you get the best quality.
- We use Fair Trade tea bags and sugar and are trying to find more ways to support this initiative.
- Apparently there exists a catering product called substitute cheese. We have no idea what this is and you won’t find out at our Hotel.
Adopt eco-friendly policies whilst ensuring our guests are happy.
- We have energy saving light bulbs everywhere possible.
- The beautiful complimentary toiletries in your room are in large bottles which we refill instead of using throw-away minis.
- We ask guests to think before putting their towels into laundry.
- We use a local laundry company for our sheets and wash our own towels to reduce travel time of the bedlinen.
- Breakfast cereals and sauces are served in reusable dishes and bottles rather than single serve portions to reduce packaging and waste.
- We serve mineral water and fresh milk in reusable containers in the bedrooms to reduce packaging and waste.
- Our cleaning chemicals diluted from concentrate on site – reusable bottles, less packaging and less transport.
- We use small kettles and Tassimo machines to cut down on wasted water and electricity. We are aware of the problems with coffee pods and are actively monitoring how Tassimo decide to resolve this, whilst ensuring that the plastic we do produce is processed correctly by our waste management team.
- Our amazing waste company Yorwaste, takes all our waste into their Waste No More programme which guarantees 0% to landfill. We are proud to be part of this initiative.